Space Florida drives State economic development across the global aerospace enterprise.
To be the world leader in developing tomorrow’s aerospace enterprise, creating a diversified business environment and robust continued economic growth for Florida.
Main Number: 321-730-5301
Corporate Office/Physical Address:
505 Odyssey Way, Suite 300
Exploration Park, Florida 32953
South Campus Office (Cape Canaveral)
100 Space Port Way
Cape Canaveral, FL 32920
Space Florida was created through the State to strengthen Florida’s position as a global leader in aerospace research, investment, exploration and commerce. As Florida’s aerospace economic development organization, we are committed to attracting and expanding the next generation of space industry businesses. With its highly-trained workforce, proven infrastructure and unparalleled record of achievement, we believe Florida is the ideal location for aerospace businesses to thrive – and Space Florida is the perfect partner to help them succeed.
Space Florida was created as a special district that uniquely serves as the single point of contact for all space-related functions of the State of Florida, and serves the civil, military and commercial sectors.
The Space Florida service area is the entire State of Florida.
Space Florida History:
The Governor’s Commission Report on Space & Aeronautics – finalized in 2006 – outlined the potential benefits of realigning the structure and functionality of Space Florida’s three predecessor organizations into a new structure. The entity would have a high level of visibility within the state, a high level of recurring industry participation in setting strategic direction, and would also provide a single point of contact for businesses.
Specifically, the Governor's Commission recommended an organization that would:
- Enhance customer service
- Ensure a focus on mission-critical activities through clear lines of authority and accountability that flow from a single, strongly-managed coordinating office
- Serve as the central organization for coordinating and communicating all space-related matters within the State
- Be responsible for representing the State and tracking all related legislative issues at the State and Federal levels
- Be the face and voice of space and aeronautics in Florida
- Be structured as a private/public partnership (similar to Enterprise Florida or Visit Florida)
- Report to its Board of Directors, chaired by the Governor. This Board would include representatives from all areas of the State's space industry, including business, finance, marketing, spaceport operations, research and development, and education. The Board would also include members appointed by the Governor, the Speaker of the House, and the Senate President
- Three major functions that receive their strategic direction, budget, and authority from the Board:
- Business Development and Finance
- Spaceport Operations; Education
- R&D and Workforce Development
In May 2006, the Florida Legislature passed the Space Florida Act, consolidating Florida's three existing space entities (Florida Space Authority, Florida Space Research Institute, and Florida Aerospace Finance Corporation) into a single new organization. Space Florida was established by the legislature on Sept 1, 2006.