Florida is an unquestioned leader nationally and internationally in the global aerospace industry. Florida consistently ranks in the top five U.S. states for aerospace industry employment, with more than 132,000 employees in 2011. More than 11,600 aerospace-related companies call Florida home, contributing $17.7 billion in revenues to Florida’s economy. Florida’s aerospace industry has diversified strengths, highlighted by:
- NASA and U.S. Air Force rocket launching at Cape Canaveral
- Development of navigation and guidance control systems in Orlando and Clearwater
- Manufacturing of rocket engines as well as advanced helicopter systems in West Palm Beach
- Small satellite development in Gainesville
- Significant MRO centers around the state, with particular strength in Miami, Jacksonville, Melbourne, and the Pensacola to Panama City corridor
- Business jet R&D and manufacturing in Melbourne
Additionally, Florida is a hub for the growing commercial space industry, with current and planned major operations for path-breaking companies such as SpaceX and XCOR.